Norfolk Pictures

willy

Heh, that's around the corner from where I live. With all the construction, I have to drive down those streets. Grr. I used to segway down them without issue :-)

2758094001_143492b7f3.jpg

My car mirror, after some knob hit it. Probably some old Freemason resident or something. I can't get the simple part that cracked after impact alone, and the "assembly" that contains the part I need is over $200. Instead of giving money to local dealerships I'm turning to internet junkyard search networks and will hopefully get a replacement for $65 or less. Glad they didn't sideswipe the vehicle though.

2749238837_85b1705bb9.jpg

Where I sit during the day (on the right). It's cleaner now, I swear :-) I added the LED illumination. Boss said no to me bringing in the Galaga machine.

2749230571_36eaa73b5a.jpg

One of a million buildings in downtown Norfolk for sale / lease. It's interesting that the Relative Theory space is still open. That means whatever the asking price is, it's too much. I think Norfolk died when that store died, for whatever reason. I wish I got over there more, but I don't spend much money on music. AFAIK the space on the 3rd floor has never been leased, and RT space is still for lease. It'd be cool to own one of those buildings outright, get a little cash from a tenant for upkeep and use the rest as a clubhouse.

2750067512_06cd3decb8.jpg

MMM FRESH Gusto's Pizza for lunch

2708476888_49f3368c11.jpg

So I was going to feed some friend's fish and I saw open house signs at the Barr condo failure at the corner of Brambleton & Duke. So I followed the sign that said open house... and the office door was locked, and I didn't see a way into the building. No other cars in sight, of course. But I caught this epic funny picture of a license plate. It's been a super popular photo. I'm wondering if it was inspired by some craigslist trolls I used to do.

Today I went urban hiking. Hope you enjoy.

Something looks out of place in this photo

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

I put this one up just because I thought someone would enjoy it. I was focused more on the sign, but the place is a dump.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

And now things get brighter

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

These next two are actually up for rent

IMG_1496.jpg

Rental #2

IMG_1497.jpg

If part of my viewshed was a parking lot I'd say, "No thanks."

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

The Wire Birds

IMG_1484.jpg

Throughout all my travels today, this last one gave the greatest satisfaction because I love finding hidden gems like this where you wouldn't expect to find them.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and myself have been working on a UAV project. The goal is to present it in February at a conference in DC.

It's open source, and the goal is to be taking 8 megapixel images from this self-guided aircraft.

If we can finish it, I will be more than happy to share tons of high res aerial photos.

I love that picture that was in the Pilot.... Hope to be able to make lots of those.

Yea, I have no idea what the heck they did. Probably drunk or some such. The new intersection, if you're sitting at the light waiting to turn left onto Botetourt, there is the median there. Lots of cars run onto that. I've been eating at Machismos with friends and you see it happen. It's kind of entertaining but sometimes you can tell it's rough.. you them them go up on it, then cringe, then you hear the ***BAAANGG**** .. Friends are like "I don't understand how you can be that dumb" but my guess is when you're sitting there, you can't see the median in all vehicles.

Also, at the overpriced Barr condos, all the foilage and stuff they put out front blocks the view when making right hand turns onto Brambleton (it's Duke Street I think).

Looks like downtown Norfolk Ridgeways Reprographics is gone. If you google the phone number, the owner of it seems to be out to buy out estates. The number is very... Van Halen.

One of Ridgeways' largest customers is MMM Design Group. (In fact, MMM owned Ridgeways years ago.) Almost four years ago, MMM moved from the Wainwright Building to 300 East Main Street, directly across from the Bank of America Center. Two weeks ago, Ridgeways relocated to ground floor of the same building. Since the Wainwright is almost all medical offices, that storefront probably has better uses than a reprographics shop. 300 East Main Street is the blue building in the center of this photograph.

By the way, the Wainwright Building is owned by the developers of the Commodore Maury Condos / Office Building.

2847315394_57294706ec.jpg

One of Ridgeways' largest customers is MMM Design Group. (In fact, MMM owned Ridgeways years ago.) Almost four years ago, MMM moved from the Wainwright Building to 300 East Main Street, directly across from the Bank of America Center. Two weeks ago, Ridgeways relocated to ground floor of the same building. Since the Wainwright is almost all medical offices, that storefront probably has better uses than a reprographics shop. 300 East Main Street is the blue building in the center of this photograph.

By the way, the Wainwright Building is owned by the developers of the Commodore Maury Condos / Office Building.

Awesome! I knew someone who did IT for Ridgeways a while ago. That doe make sense. Some of those pictures were taken from the Wainwright Building (I had a physical and decided to use my waiting time wisely).

That makes sense that Ridgeways would move to where their largest customer is, and a better building. I've been into Ridgeways once or twice, but I'm kind of a hands on guy... when I want something printed large format, I just buy a large format printer :-) I totally love the "Darth Vader Building." USI moved into it and has their name on the Vader building now that they moved out of the building that will become the Library.

• 2 months later...

Just moved to downtown norfolk, and snapped this very low quality shot from my new building-

n13701583_44405268_7716.jpg

My new balcony overlooks the belmont @ freemason & LRT construction on brambleton, as well as having a good view of the rising wachovia center & also the topped out residence inn site... soon as I can afford a new digital camera I hope to get some repitive status update photos- Hopefully xmas will be good to me, hoping to post some again soon-