Norfolk Pictures

willy

• 3 weeks later...

O_O woah! u can see town center! Didn't realize you could take a picture of it with a regular camera at that zoom! U have regular camera right?

Woah! Beast pics of downtown! Its becoming denser and denser! Sooner or later taller towers will be needed! ;)

Also what is that construction at the bottom of the third picture? Is that related to the belmont?

Edited by Mobius57

O_O woah! u can see town center! Didn't realize you could take a picture of it with a regular camera at that zoom! U have regular camera right?

Woah! Beast pics of downtown! Its becoming denser and denser! Sooner or later taller towers will be needed! ;)

Ha thats a pretty nice camera if it can zoom ten miles..

More like a telescope haha

It's actually just a regular camera, a canon powershot sx110, no added lenses or anything, was only $200... I just bought it finally last week and this is the first day it hasnt rained since then.

That shot was from the 14th floor (really the 13th floor)....you can actually see as far as the cape henry towers near the lesner bridge from the 21st floor (really 20th floor)... I absolutely love this building, if you're into construction/architecture/engineering & looking for an apartment, this place is the best deal ever.

I can't wait for the Westin to get underway downtown, once it hits a couple floors I should be able to photograph the progress pretty effectively as it rises next to trader-

How much a month? Also dont thay have a pool ar deck on the roof?

They have an aluminum pool from what I was told. Still haven't been over there to check it out. Have a friend on the 12th or 11th.

I've heard that Trump Sr. built the building then sold it. Have not confirmed it, friend said someone with the mgmt company told him this.

I've been a photo slacker recently. I've got a Canon all setup to take pictures automatically, I just need to find better control software because the thing will trigger the flash at night. Also, if the sun rises facing it, I think it will burn out the CCD.

They have an aluminum pool from what I was told. Still haven't been over there to check it out. Have a friend on the 12th or 11th.
The pool & pool area is really nice, as is the fitness center (looks right out over the city) and the outdoor patio will be great once it warms up. Looking forward to taking photos from up there throughout the spring & summer.

How is the view over in your building looking towards the main highrises? Do you have access to the rooftop there? You probably get a more perpendicular shot on the DE building & harbor heights, maybe even the mariott (I can't see it at all from here)? I'd like to see some when you do get a chance to take a few-

I've heard that Trump Sr. built the building then sold it. Have not confirmed it, friend said someone with the mgmt company told him this.

I've been a photo slacker recently. I've got a Canon all setup to take pictures automatically, I just need to find better control software because the thing will trigger the flash at night. Also, if the sun rises facing it, I think it will burn out the CCD.

Trump Sr. did, in fact, build the hague towers. It was his second major project. Leaned that from a 80 year old cab driver...so it must be true!

The pool & pool area is really nice, as is the fitness center (looks right out over the city) and the outdoor patio will be great once it warms up. Looking forward to taking photos from up there throughout the spring & summer.

How is the view over in your building looking towards the main highrises? Do you have access to the rooftop there? You probably get a more perpendicular shot on the DE building & harbor heights, maybe even the mariott (I can't see it at all from here)? I'd like to see some when you do get a chance to take a few-

I'm actually facing your building, so I can't see downtown. I have friends that might have a view, and had friends that lived in the building but moved out who had a view of downtown. It was like... hey look, buildings off in the distance :-)

I used to work on the 15th/11th floors in the BB&T building (that company closed it's doors last Friday I think). I used to take some pics from there (they are on the flickr in the early days).

Another friend used to go on roofs of various buildings for wireless datacom hardware, so he has some shots. He's getting me the URL right now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stugs/page2/ Said he would upload more when he gets home.

I haven't been taking many photos lately. I guess I should.

Wat? So BB&T is closing or jsut the company that you worked for and was in the builing?

BB&T isn't closing. See excerpt from Insidebiz (20 Mar). wonder what will become of existing building for Chamber?

"After a lengthy search of properties, the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce is moving to a new home and closing down its satellite offices.

In fact, the regional chamber will remain in downtown Norfolk, not far from its current home near St. Paul

Edited by Sky06

Beautiful day yesterday, driving back from Wintergreen, looked over off the Monitor/Merrimac and saw downtown, took a quick pic
That angle is pretty cool.... that's the one nice thing about living in flat terrain, you can see stuff from a long ways out. Craney Island seems like such a waste of space out there when you look across it from the MMBT.

That angle is pretty cool.... that's the one nice thing about living in flat terrain, you can see stuff from a long ways out. Craney Island seems like such a waste of space out there when you look across it from the MMBT.

No way! Craney Island is not a waste of space. It is a tremendous asset for Virginia's ports. The Craney Island Dredged Material Area encompasses 2,500-acres to contain material dredged from Hampton Roads channels. The area is divided into three cells; one cell is always being pumped into while the other two are drying out. Without this space for receiving dredged material, keeping the shipping channels open would be much more expensive. None of the other east coast ports that compete with Virginia have anything close to what we have at Craney Island. Craney Island plays a big part in making Virginia's ports among the best in the country.

In case you haven't been following closely, the Corps of Engineers has plans to expand Craney Island to the east. After it is expanded, the reclaimed land will become a new port for Virginia. The Craney Island expansion is not just another project - it is a world-class land reclamation project on a scale of the Kansai Airport in Japan or the Palm Islands in Dubai. It was scheduled to be operational by 2017, but the economy has delayed those plans somewhat. Not coincidentally, the expanded Panama Canal is scheduled to be opened in 2014 or 2015. Hampton Roads is the only east coast port with approved plans in place to accommodate the increased tonnage that will occur when the enlarged canal opens. Part of the reason for the Third Crossing is to serve the new port on the expanded Craney Island and the new APM Terminals just south of Craney Island. So believe it or not, the Third Crossing as well as the Craney Island Expansion, are related to the Panama Canal Expansion.

No way! Craney Island is not a waste of space. It is a tremendous asset for Virginia's ports. The Craney Island Dredged Material Area encompasses 2,500-acres to contain material dredged from Hampton Roads channels. The area is divided into three cells; one cell is always being pumped into while the other two are drying out. Without this space for receiving dredged material, keeping the shipping channels open would be much more expensive. None of the other east coast ports that compete with Virginia have anything close to what we have at Craney Island. Craney Island plays a big part in making Virginia's ports among the best in the country.

In case you haven't been following closely, the Corps of Engineers has plans to expand Craney Island to the east. After it is expanded, the reclaimed land will become a new port for Virginia. The Craney Island expansion is not just another project - it is a world-class land reclamation project on a scale of the Kansai Airport in Japan or the Palm Islands in Dubai. It was scheduled to be operational by 2017, but the economy has delayed those plans somewhat. Not coincidentally, the expanded Panama Canal is scheduled to be opened in 2014 or 2015. Hampton Roads is the only east coast port with approved plans in place to accommodate the increased tonnage that will occur when the enlarged canal opens. Part of the reason for the Third Crossing is to serve the new port on the expanded Craney Island and the new APM Terminals just south of Craney Island. So believe it or not, the Third Crossing as well as the Craney Island Expansion, are related to the Panama Canal Expansion.

I definately did not know about any of that. All I knew prior about craney Island was that there was nothing built on it & I had no idea why it was there at all.... but having read through your explanation, it makes perfect sense. Consider my former statement retracted.

You know an impressive amount about Craney Island. Would you care to send me a post about it for the HRP Bog, http://www.SmartRegion.org, about the expansion and its importance to not only the Port of Virginia but to all of Hampton Roads? Thanks!

Edited by MissySchmidt