Norfolk Pictures

willy

We are also the only port on the east coast able to handle the new maersk superships.(channel depth and crane length/capacity) Well explode in growth once the panama canal expansion is finished. CraneY! island is critical.

Edited by Mobius57

We are also the only port on the east coast able to handle the new maersk superships.(channel depth and crane length/capacity) Well explode in growth once the panama canal expansion is finished. Crane island is critical.

Can you imagine, one day Craney island will employee as many people as the Norfolk Navel Base currently employs...which is our biggest employer in the region.

What's also great is that this industry is separate from the military, which already props up so much of our economy. Economic diversity is really good! This will also push the third crossing infrastructure and midtown tunnel too. And that will make living in Portsmouth a feasible thing for the middle class again. Olde Towne will one day be about as vital and alive as Ghent is today! And lastly this will push development west into Suffolk, Isle of Wight, Ivor. And that will create a greater more circular market around downtown Norfolk and Portsmouth which is kinda lacking now....This all relates to the future transit vision plan which needs that density/market to support the Bower's Hill connection of high speed rail from Richmond (If they do choose this route into HR), the light rail line from Portsmouth, and the commuter rail to Suffolk.

Lastly I will say this, because the Craney island consist of export employees (meaning dollars coming in from outside the region). There will be a multiplier effect (also like NOB) of about 2.5 of 3. This means that the 70,000 plus employees (Craney island workers plus the needed distribution center employees) will ultimately add about 200,000 to the population...this is because the new 70,000 will require local goods and services which will in turn provide jobs, and even these new "goods and services" jobs will require their own goods and services, but their multiplier is low 1.6 or something. All of this knowledge is coming from my urban economics class last summer!!!!!!!

Photos from this afternoon from the rooftop-

20590405.jpg

New Marine Terminals.... Larger Photo: Here

20590374.jpg

Historic Ghent (Mowbray Arch)... Larger Photo: Here

20590306.jpg

A Beautiful Day to live in Norfolk... Larger Photo: Here

20589450.jpg

Fort Norfolk & Port Norfolk.... Larger Photo: Here

20589501.jpg

John Knox Tower & the ODU/Ghent area. Larger Photo: Here

20589230.jpg

Harrison Opera House... Larger Photo: Here

20589356.jpg

Chrysler Museum Statue... Larger Photo: Here

20589553.jpg

Exterior Rehab work to the building at Granby & Freemason, Larger: Here

20592774.jpg

20592740.jpg

The last 2 shots are actually in Virginia Beach, but I already had this post going so I just threw it in here... I know this is an urban forum, and that's why I wanted to post a couple scenery shots as well.... The stronger & denser a city is, the more scenery there is like this nearby. Keep the people in the core, and leave the wildlands alone! Down with suburbia! :)

Larger Photos, Here & Here

Edited by CaveMaN

• 3 weeks later...

amazing pictures caveman. it's great that as downtown grows we will have wonderful pictures to look back on. keep up the good work. :thumbsup: next exciting project to document is the westin. :)

you should put a few of these photos on the "southern photos of the day" thread! i'm sure our fellow southerners would enjoy them.

Edited by varider

Ok, can anybody walk me through how to post pictures. Cause for some reason its not uploadin for me...
Post a photo to a site as was mentioned above.

Right click on the photo, select properties. Under the "Image Properties" a "Location" is displayed. Copy this link.

Go back to your new urbanplanet post, and select the button underneath the text font drop down menu titled "Insert Image". Paste the link that you copied from the image properties window. Hit ok, and it'll add it to your post.

There may be other ways that are more efficient, but this is the method I always use.

Thanks to all for the responses on the photographs, it was a great day to be out, and today's already looking great-

Very nice seats Varider. Are you a season ticket holder?

I miss that ballpark, it has a bigger crowd than the AAA here in Portland usually attracts.

There's a small chance Portland could end up with the Athletics, provided negotiations with San Jose or Sacramento fall through.

Edited by Glassoul

No no season ticket holder :) Just got lucky seats. It was so funny, I sat behind Durham's dugout and so whenever a player struck out Norfolk fans talked trash to them and one guy said "you norfolk fans are assholes" :lol:

boy do I wish the expos had taken our bid when they relocated. we would have had a MLB team!

Edited by varider

Portland has its own baseball mess going on right now.

We are in the process of getting a new MLS team, which means we need a new, smaller ballpark for our AAA team. Which the link shows the mess it is creating, so I am guessing we are not going to be in the running for a MLB team any time soon. The city currently wants to ignore a report that came out when we were trying for a MLB team and is trying to build it in a location that cannot be expanded to a pro size.

Besides, I thought the Athletics decided to stay?

Lets move the focus of this thread back to "Norfolk Pictures" please.

Or post more pictures from and around Harbor Park.

5100 in attendance, that is still better than we get here...Hampton Roads would of done great with a MLB team.

It is sad to go to a AAA game here on a really nice day and only find the attendance barely breaking 2000....even worse is our current ballpark holds about 20,000....so it always looks and feels really empty.

Sorry vdogg. move it to the off topic thread??

&& yes I truly believe Hampton Roads could fully support a major league team. if we get over 7200 for a AAA game i'm sure if it was the majors that would be quadrupled.

nobody took any pictures on this hot but beautiful weekend? i'd like to see wells fargo since its almost topped out! && belmont @ freemason too.

Edited by varider