Norfolk Pictures

willy

Some random musings regarding Mobius' photos. Great shots!

Got some pics in today.

3840952957_9938166184.jpg

Interesting view of the Norfolk Southern Tower (on the right). I am proud to say that I was the structural engineer for it.

3841744552_41de962b1b.jpg

Legend has it that there is a bullet hole in the clock face, from a bank robber shooting over his shoulder at the Norfolk cops chasing him.

This building was almost demolished 20 years ago to make room for another "modern" high rise. The historical preservationists rallied to save it. While we lament to loss of many older buildings do to "urban renewal" of the 60's, we can take some solace that this building, and the Customhouse next to it, survived. When they renovated this bank back in the 1990's, they did a good job of recapturing the grandeur of the old-time bank lobby. Step inside and take a look at it sometime. Marble wainscoating, chandeliers, etc.

3841744364_395986b8cf.jpg

^whats the name of this building?^

This is the Commodore Maury Office Building. It used to be the James Madison hotel. Back in its heyday, there used to be a grand ballroom behind the arched windows at the top floor. When John Kerry visited Norfolk during his 2004 presidential campaign, the Secret Service had him stay here because they said they could provide better security here than at the newer hotels like Sheraton or Marriott. His room was pretty run down. I heard he was not very happy.

3841745152_2975db6e5d.jpg

Another unique view of the Norfolk Southern Tower.

3841741978_f898262160.jpg

Kudos to any photographer who can make the Wainwright Building look interesting

Ha maybe Sunday? That's when I usually go downtown and take pictures. It's very peaceful and relaxing with all the older folks going to brunch and what not.

Hey varider and mobius57... if you want to tell a "story" about the region or about Norfolk, in particular, through pictures, I'd love to publish them on the region's blog, http://SmartRegion.org. Are you game?

virginia pe, I have to disagree with you, the Wainwright Building is a beautiful building that was built in the wrong spot. It always reminded me of something you would find in an old dense urban area, but the Wainwright was built in the middle of a low rise neighborhood and sticks out like a weird thumb.

What is in the Wainwright building? I think it may looks dull becasue its grey. (Not my opinion, i think it looks ok.)

Hey varider where is that other sig you had? The one looking downtown from the west and had a blue tint? Could you send it to me please? Thanks :-)

Edited by Mobius57

• 3 weeks later...

Hey CaveMan, great pictures as always, but was there some sort of event at Town Point Park? I didn't know anything was scheduled.
It looked like an Asian cultural festival of some sorts, just in the small area next to waterside, not the entire park. What's being built in Portsmouth on the waterfront? You can see the silt fences up in this photo, which I apparently didn't post here...

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=...amp;id=13701583

Edited by CaveMaN

It looked like an Asian cultural festival of some sorts, just in the small area next to waterside, not the entire park. What's being built in Portsmouth on the waterfront? You can see the silt fences up in this photo, which I apparently didn't post here...

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=...amp;id=13701583

That's where the Holiday-Inn was.

• 3 weeks later...

Tel hope you dont mind that I stitched some of your photos together:

27532783.jpg

I will never get tired of looking at that view of the city...what a beautiful weekend it was too. Light Rail tracks are really moving along on brambleton in that photo...it's neat to see all the segments getting closer & closer to running into each other.

Wow! Awesome.

I have an idea how to get the photos you need for a 360 degree panoramic.

If we get our hackerspace going, then perhaps we can build the setup. I'm thinking tethered hydrogen balloon with a DSLR camera on it.

That would be cool, I take it you saw the amateur high def space balloon video?

But even if we can just get access to the highest point on a roof and use a tripod...