Norfolk Pictures

willy

On 3/12/2020 at 11:54 PM, urbanvb said:

Norfolk in 1965. Wow

80809758-E872-4ABD-9DCB-8598EBA28E8B.jpeg

If you read this book (link below) and know the demographics of neighborhoods in the city, the bounds of the “urban renewal” area are no surprise.

Black, White and Brown: The Battle for Progress in 1950s Norfolk https://www.amazon.com/dp/1732310505/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hkgBEb3N95HHE

61zlJT5MvXL.jpg

• Like 1

It is so devastating to see how much of the downtown was torn down at the same time. It was the most destruction done to a city that wasn't because of a war. Norfolk would have looked like a much different and unique urban city today if they just did selective urban renewal rather than this clean slate approach. 

• Like 3

I may have mentioned before but the city of Norfolk Public Library has a fascinating video on lost architecture I found via a quick search. It’s such a shame so many significant buildings went way of the wrecking ball including Union Station, Monticello Hotel and many more. 

Edited by urbanvb

I don't know how dilapidated the warehouses on Waterside Dr. were, but I think the city did just as much of a disservice tearing those down as they did the buildings in central downtown (i.e. Main and Plume Streets). I think the city could've come to a happy medium that allowed them to preserve some buildings and still go Sim City with the new construction.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:47 PM, BFG said:

I don't know how dilapidated the warehouses on Waterside Dr. were, but I think the city did just as much of a disservice tearing those down as they did the buildings in central downtown (i.e. Main and Plume Streets). I think the city could've come to a happy medium that allowed them to preserve some buildings and still go Sim City with the new construction.

I feel like if the city kept those piers and warehouses along the water, it would have seen a mix of working and living harbor. I would imagine it would look a lot like what Portland, Maine's waterfront looks like today. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the "I Grew Up in Tidewater" Facebook group: 

"Holt St. Norfolk (March 1937): Ash Shoe Co., Altschul's Department Store, Ford & Son Furniture and Legum's Furniture"

The comments say the intersection of Holt St. and Church St., and I believe it's now where Tidewater Park stands. Yet another area that should've been maintained instead of meeting the wrecking ball.

church.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I seriously don't think I would have wanted to move away had Norfolk preserved these buildings and let the city grow around the existing urban fabric. I could easily see this street of buildings being a popular hipster street today. 

It kinda reminds me of Broadway in Nashville.  But it definitely would've been a popular hangout like Granby.

Ok, a bit off topic..I think I’ve mentioned this before .. My Mom was raised in Norfolk back in the day when everything was downtown and bustling. She took the bus to her job at a department store then later to her new job at the telephone company as an operator, now AT&T on Bute/Bousch. Everything was much different back then.  Sometimes I wish I could peek into the past. :rolleyes:

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1