Norfolk Pictures

willy

On 12/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, BFG said:

That's a part of downtown rarely seen, but it really is a nice view of the city, esp. if you can see it from the top of the MacArthur parking deck.

Hopefully the buildings on the right of the photo will be knocked down and that site redeveloped with a building that faces the square.

There is no demand now or into the immediate future for Class A high rise office expansion into the Saint Paul’s quadrant. Heck, we can’t even get a new skyscraper built in downtown proper. 

You have to grow the economy first. Job growth is pathetic here. If this was Raleigh, you might have a point. Alas, we are not Raleigh. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I realize what bugs me about our downtown: the inconsistency of building heights. You have your cluster of taller (by Hampton Roads standards) buildings along Waterside Drive. Basically the "new downtown" that went up in the last 50 or so years. Then between Plume and Brambleton, it's a sea of low-rise buildings, and then the Wells Fargo tower that sticks out like a sore thumb. I won't say MacArthur is a waste of space, but that picture makes me wish we could go back 30 years and develop that land into a mixed-use development.

A few towers on the MacArthur site could break up the low density, but downtown looks odd from that angle.