What do you think about a downtown navy condo?

krdarden

Why not seek to partnership with the navy to build a condominium for single enlisted sailors and marines and provide bus or light rail service to serve the base. This would provide downtown with more residents and more shoppers. It would also be a morale booster and incentive for reenlistment. I know that I would jump at the chance to reenlist with guaranteed orders to shore duty and chance to live rent free for a few years in a downtown high rise condominium. I say build 2, one for enlisted and one for officers. I know that it is expensive building on base and the navy need to think outside the box and explore this idea. I believe that the navy did this in San Diego and we should find out if it's feasable here.

Finally, why haven't we tried to lure some business away from Navy operations in DC?

We should try to convince them that having all the major brass in that location is a mistake just like the BRAC commission is trying to do to us? I figure we could get a couple of good high rises out of consolidating some navy offices here in downtown Norfolk. I would trade a couple of carriers for a couple of major naval operation centers since we probably are going to lose them anyways!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not seek to partnership with the navy to build a condominium for single enlisted sailors and marines and provide bus or light rail service to serve the base. This would provide downtown with more residents and more shoppers. It would also be a morale booster and incentive for reenlistment. I know that I would jump at the chance to reenlist with guaranteed orders to shore duty and chance to live rent free for a few years in a downtown high rise condominium. I say build 2, one for enlisted and one for officers. I know that it is expensive building on base and the navy need to think outside the box and explore this idea. I believe that the navy did this in San Diego and we should find out if it's feasable here.

Finally, why haven't we tried to lure some business away from Navy operations in DC?

We should try to convince them that having all the major brass in that location is a mistake just like the BRAC commission is trying to do to us?  I figure we could get a couple of good high rises out of consolidating some navy offices here in downtown Norfolk. I would trade a couple of carriers for a couple of major naval operation centers since we probably are going to lose them anyways!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the brass are political figures and politics are done in DC. high rises are 2 expensive for the navy they are trying to cut costs now and i never think they would do something like that.

I think another problem with having Navy buildings downtown is all the security they require. A Navy barracks or operations center would probably not offer any ground-floor retail or other activity, be surrounded in barbed wire, and just really be ugly as sin (have u seen navy design?) I'd be content to keep that mess uptown.

I think another problem with having Navy buildings downtown is all the security they require.  A Navy barracks or operations center would probably not offer any ground-floor retail or other activity, be surrounded in barbed wire, and just really be ugly as sin (have u seen navy design?)  I'd be content to keep that mess uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Security would be a big factor in the design of these structures. They are not likely be tall at all and their architecture would most likely detract from the appearance of downtown.

Archived