Condo's across from (future) Walmart...

Jenkins

...appear to have sold :wacko: This topic came up in an earlier thread about how Walmart is replacing the Ames in the north end. I drove by there this weekend and the parking lot for the condo's was full of cars. I then checked riliving.com and the condo's are no longer listed. Damn, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is also a fence around the entire Ames parking lot, so I think construction will begin soon.. There might be hope for that area, yet. The ProJo had an excellent review of the new restaurant on Charles Street near there (Pearl). Fast forward a couple years, and that triangle of blight may be doing OK, with a Home Depot, Walmart, Pearl restaurant, and the new hotel and another restaurant that has been given the tentative go ahead. Granted, we are not talking hipster square here, but given the working class neighborhood it is in, this may be the kind of sustainable infrastructure that is needed.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually up further north on Charles for the first time recently. It's actually a pretty nice neighbourhood up there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya, the north end of Charles Street, and some of the neighborhoods between it and route 126 (Smithfield Ave/Silver Spring Street) to the east and Langdon Street (west) are well kept old city neighborhoods.

I don't know what I was expecting it to be like, I guess I assumed it would just quickly peter out and become bland suburban, but they are nice streetcar suburb-like areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are up there again, make your to the corner of Windmill and Smart St. There is a really nice view of the Providence skyline, especially at night.

[snip]... we are not talking hipster square here, but given the working class neighborhood it is in, this may be the kind of sustainable infrastructure that is needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonderful thought, and 100% on target. You couldn't be more right.

- Garris

Charles St. apparently used to be something like Atwells with lots of Italian markets, produce stands, etc. A few of these Federal Hill like places still exist along Charles - Graziano sausage and Anita's cheesecake. (Also Jeanette's on Branch) It would be cool if more settled there.

Also up that way, the Wanskuck mill on Branch has a lot of potential to become a hipster location. Check out the mill yard in back and the West River running through it. Beautiful!

For some reason, the North End tends to be kind of overlooked when people talk about the city. Kinda like the Staten Island of Providence.

Charles St. apparently used to be something like Atwells with lots of Italian markets, produce stands, etc. A few of these Federal Hill like places still exist along Charles - Graziano sausage and Anita's cheesecake.

Isn't there supposed to be a really good "red sauce" Italian restaurant on Charles? Darn, I can't remember the name...

For some reason, the North End tends to be kind of overlooked when people talk about the city. Kinda like the Staten Island of Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, funny analogy, but very on-target in several respects. It's demographically very similar (largely make up of older retirees from previous waves of immigration) and similar by reputation (slightly warn-down, dull bedroom community). Statin Island is roaring back now, however, and one day the North End could as well.

- Garris

I live west of Hope St. on a hill and have good views of the North End. The Moshassuck River, the North Burial Ground, the railroad tracks, and if as if those weren't enough, I-95, create a barrier between the Summit, Mt Hope neighborhoods and the North End.

While I can see some of the area's landmarks, St. Ann's church (which is nicely lit at night) and the copper cupola and stack of the Wanskuck mill, mostly what I can see is white aluminum sided houses that are starkly exposed because of the lack of vegetation.

A couple of times I've gone over to the opposite side, along Silver Spring Street, to look eastward and have been able to spot relatively few houses due to the profusion of trees even in winter.

I've heard that the councilwoman up there doesn't like trees and never uses block grant money for plantings, preferring instead paving, paving, and more paving.

She was also very much in favor of the tearing down the Silver Spring Bleaching and Dyeing complex for a Home Depot. Too bad, it could have been turned into a beautiful urban space like Rising Sun.

The southern part of the North End (around Stop and Shop and the Post Office) was apparently once a densely packed neighborhood but was levelled in the late 50s to create the industrial park around Corliss Street. It was eradicated to the extent that it is one of Providence's truly lost neighborhoods like the West End of Boston.

Isn't there supposed to be a really good "red sauce" Italian restaurant on Charles?  Darn, I can't remember the name...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The red sauce place you are thinking of on Charles St. is Pinelli's North End Cafe. Been there a few times, and it is excellent. Old school, but somewhat upscale, Italian food. The staff treats you very well there, too... There are a few other restaurants and bakeries on Charles that are good also. Hopefully the street gets more of the same and continues to improve.

While I can see some of the area's landmarks, St. Ann's church (which is nicely lit at night) and the copper cupola and stack of the Wanskuck mill, mostly what I can see is white aluminum sided houses that are starkly exposed because of the lack of vegetation.

A couple of times I've gone over to the opposite side, along Silver Spring Street, to look eastward and have been able to spot relatively few houses due to the profusion of trees even in winter.

I've heard that the councilwoman up there doesn't like trees and never uses block grant money for plantings, preferring instead paving, paving, and more paving.

She was also very much in favor of the tearing down the Silver Spring Bleaching and Dyeing complex for a Home Depot. Too bad, it could have been turned into a beautiful urban space like Rising Sun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in the north end, up on a hill, a few streets away from the Chelo's on Silver Spring. My neighborhood actually has a fair amount of trees, although mostly in people's back yards, and not so much on the street. Also have a nice view of the Providence skyline and statehouse from my kitchen. View of the east side, too, although the main structure dominating the landscape is, unfortunately, Miriam Hospital. Would love if they planted more tree's along the streets in general, though. Route 95 really does create a barrier between the Charles neighborhood and east side, at least as far as walking from one area to the other goes... I've written before about the Home Depot area, but to recap, actually think, for the area, it is probably more sustainable (and very handy) to have some of these types of stores in this environment.

I live in the north end, up on a hill, a few streets away from the Chelo's on Silver Spring. My neighborhood actually has a fair amount of trees, although mostly in people's back yards, and not so much on the street. Also have a nice view of the Providence skyline and statehouse from my kitchen. View of the east side, too, although the main structure dominating the landscape is, unfortunately, Miriam Hospital. Would love if they planted more tree's along the streets in general, though. Route 95 really does create a barrier between the Charles neighborhood and east side, at least as far as walking from one area to the other goes... I've written before about the Home Depot area, but to recap, actually think, for the area, it is probably more sustainable (and very handy) to have some of these types of stores in this environment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like an awesome view from your kitchen. Much of Miriam is scheduled to be rebuilt despite some local NIMBY objections. I don't know if the part you can see is part of the section that's coming down. If so, your view might improve. The new buildings look a lot better than the current unprepossessing ones.

On the subject of the North End and businesses, my favorite ice cream place is Home Creamery on Branch Ave just before 146. Highly recommend their coffee cabinet.

Sounds like an awesome view from your kitchen.  Much of Miriam is scheduled to be rebuilt despite some local NIMBY objections. I don't know if the part you can see is part of the section that's coming down. If so, your view might improve. The new buildings look a lot better than the current unprepossessing ones.

On the subject of the North End and businesses, my favorite ice cream place is Home Creamery on Branch Ave just before 146. Highly recommend their coffee cabinet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ironically, my view is best during the winter when the leaves are off the tree's. During "leave season" they can get in the way of my view. Damn trees ;) Next time you are looking on the north end from your house give me a wave, I just may be on my deck looking at the east side... Glad to hear they are rebuilding Miriam. I was wondering if they would ever get the go ahead. I've seen all the NIMBY "no construction" signs when I drive up 4th street on my way to the Ivy for a couple pints :whistling:

Ironically, my view is best during the winter when the leaves are off the tree's. During "leave season" they can get in the way of my view. Damn trees ;)  Next time you are looking on the north end from your house give me a wave, I just may be on my deck looking at the east side... Glad to hear they are rebuilding Miriam. I was wondering if they would ever get the go ahead. I've seen all the NIMBY "no construction" signs when I drive up 4th street on my way to the Ivy for a couple pints  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers! My understanding is that Miriam got the go ahead from the city. I don't get the NIMBY attitude toward the plan.Miriam's building on their own porperty and knocking down buildings that only the architect who designed them could love.

Archived