Winston-Salem is 24 acres larger

DigitalSky

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah it opened around '94 or '95, I was in the 8th or 9th grade and the Barnes and Noble at New Hope Commons was my first ever B&N.....I also remember the now gone Zainy Brainy and Uptons but I digress....

Yeah, New Hope Commons reminds me of the Arboretum in Charlotte since so many of the tenants are the same. Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Michael's, both had a Zany Brainy, Barnes & Noble, Omega Sports, Payless Shoes, Mens Wearhouse, Visionworks....

The Wal-Mart at Townridge is still there...for now.

I think that one won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

since someone asked, greensboro currently has 2 supercenters and a regular wal-mart. the 3rd super center is coming up on the east side of town. a total of 4 wal-marts cover north (regular on battleground), south (new one on elm) and west (wendover ave). greensboro also has 2 targets (both on wendover and battleground) with another one coming up at new garden rd and bryan blvd. neither of those targets are super targets that i know of, but i dont know about the one at new garden and bryan.

Yeah. I really wish Greensboro or the Triad area was getting a SuperTarget.

I wish the Triad would get streetcar service for inner neighborhoods, Olmstead-quality parks, lower parking requirements, and a greater density and variety of local stores that are not in every other faceless suburb in the US.

Super Target is marginally better than Super Wal-mart. Both inflict the same amount of damage on cities. Super Target just keeps the absurdly oversized parking lot swept better.

It's kind of like being happy to be shot, rather than hung or burned alive. The outcome is not better, just less bad.

Both stores put pressure on local merchants and undercut community character and further homogenize our region.

I agree with you on the fact of what we need, urban-wise... streetcar, the parks etc... I just wish the Triad would get one SuperTarget, then i'll be satisfied haha

There really isnt a lot more that a super target offers that a regular target already offers. Most of the Targets I go into anymore that are regular ones pretty much offer some basic groceries and freezer items now to the side. The grocery area of a Super Target isnt really that big. You get a small meat department, and a bakery area, and some expanded freezer and grocery aisles...but nothing much to write home about.

Archived