615 East Morehead in Dilworth, Charlotte

Southend

exactly.  it will be very visible from the 277 loop and will really provide a dynamic with the possibilities of the john portman addition to the westin (10 story office building), the possible park tower (22 stories).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i just hope its a very noticable and nice looking building

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I am new to the forum. Is there any news on 615 E. Morehead? I see the last post was in Nov. Has anyone heard anything?

Welcome to UP, stateman. I have not heard anything new on this project. Others who have more connections might know a little more, but the last I heard it was more of a medium term plan that wouldn't likely happen for a few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought you all should know that if you go to the 615 east morehead website www.615eastmorehead.com then they have just posted a rendering of the building. no longer the stories we thought. they now have it at 34! althought its interesting a nice looking. it reminds me of a south florida resort. see what you guys think!

also, on the state street cos. website they have it as having 164 luxury "homes"

Hmmmm....if it is stucco with a painted roof, then it can burn in hell....if that baby is clad in Limestone with a copper or gold leaf roof then build it now!

Regardless....they really should get rid of that column element on the Penthouse level....what is it there for?

Urgh...I don't really like this one very much...seems too weighted down with historical allusions and kitschy...not sleek and sophisticated at all like our other up and coming hi-rises. I'm sure it'll have it's appeal to some, however, and I'm just hoping the developers will follow through on what's really a prime near-uptown block.

looks like something in Atlanta.

really, have we seen so many proposals that we dont get excited anymore? If this baby were in any other city in NC or SC it would be front page news.

I just think there is still a lot of doubt regarding this project considering that the high-rise concept was announced in 2002 when they bought the property and that it has been sputtering along ever since.....this is the first PUBLIC set of renderings released though which is good, though they did have a much different design two years ago.

Urgh...I don't really like this one very much...seems too weighted down with historical allusions and kitschy...not sleek and sophisticated at all like our other up and coming hi-rises. I'm sure it'll have it's appeal to some, however, and I'm just hoping the developers will follow through on what's really a prime near-uptown block.

I'm with you. Sorry, can't get excited to see that puppy grow up. Ech.

Which side will face the city? Will the tennis balls be bouncing onto 277 or E Morehead?

Regardless....they really should get rid of that column element on the Penthouse level....what is it there for?

Indeed. Maybe they are trying to get that look that Caligula preferred in ancient Rome. He even put columns like this on barges.

Aside from that, depending upon the materials used it is a nice change from what we have been seeing in CLT. If sales are good, I wonder if we will see E. Morehead turned into a highrise road?

I think most people aren't excited about this because:

1. The website and project have been announced for over a year now with no real movement or marketing push. Perhaps this rendering is a prelude to one.

2. When was this rendering released? How long has it been up? There's been no mention of it, so it makes me wonder if they didn't put it up expecting to announce it soon with a big re-announcment of the project. Seems kind of odd to propose a 34 story tower and not tell anyone.

3. The rendering looks as if it were done in the SimCity 4 editor. Is this for real, or is someone seeing what type of buzz this will generate?

I, for one, would love to see it. The columns are a bit hokey, but the copper roof kicks ass. Why not just go all out and make it spanish tile? The greatest thing about this would be skyline shots of downtown with this and the Arlington in the distance. It would make looping around 277 a really cool drive. I fully expect that in 30 years the skyline will cross over 277 and consume Morehead, this would be a good start to this.

Good find.

Archived