615 East Morehead in Dilworth, Charlotte

Southend

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need diversity of buildings.

Some people really like this kind of traditional architecture. I'm much more tolerant of the uninspiring architecture because I want to attract people who otherwise might have chosen to live in the distant suburbs. Urban living isn't just for hip young people who like sleek modern buildings. Think of the retirees or the middle aged divorsees that are more recently in the market for urban living.

A project with a tennis court, valet parking, and luxury condominiums in Dilworth is not really looking for the young urban buyer who digs modern architecture.

I really don't like the portico on the roof, but as long as the materials aren't fake, I think the building will look good. I especially like the prospect of a green copper pyramid roof in our skyline. :)

It is a heck of a lot better than 230 South Tryon.

Yes, taste is subjective, and we do need diversity, but I'd be willing to forgo this tower if it looks like a giant plastic model when its done. And while its another example of subjective taste, the Arlington adds to our architectural diversity also, but I think most would have preferred something else. Maybe the use of 'real materials' will make 615 turn out better than I think it will, but it reminds me of an office building in Atlanta.. the name escapes me at the moment.. but it's along these same lines. I'm sure that that tower is constructed of limestone and marble, or other quality materials, but still I'm reminded of a post from SSC or SSP from a hundred years ago. It said that if you turned that Atlanta tower upside down, it'd say 'Made in China' on the bottom. Same here. Ok, Ok, I'm done with the negativity... Everyone has an opinion and I can respect that.

I wonder how he feels about it :).

Hmmmm....if it is stucco with a painted roof, then it can burn in hell....if that baby is clad in Limestone with a copper or gold leaf roof then build it now!

Regardless....they really should get rid of that column element on the Penthouse level....what is it there for?

I have to go with other people here and say that if the materials used to build this building are of quality then I'm all for it. This will be a building for Myers Park empty nesters/retirees and I'm sure they'll cost some exorbitant amount of money that can only be accrued though a lifetime of well made decisions. So the architectural style will attract that demographic. I also like seeing a traditional tower going up personally. As long as they don't Ballantyne it up I'll be happy.

Actually, the whole thing seems strange. It needs to decide what it wants to be. Either be a good classical high-rise (in the genre of Bankers Trust in lower Manhattan), or leave off all the decoration. The shaft of the building is not so bad, but the top borders on rediculous. It looks like its trying to be one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. mausoleum_color.jpg

Oh cmon now MC, its not that bad, lol. Maybe with a better rendering it will look better.

Would you be happy if they just removed the pillers?

I think the building will bring a unique design to the charlotte skyline and will be a breath of fresh air to the otherwise boxy Wachovia-dominated end of the skyline. Also, the top of the building reminds me of the National Masonic Temple in Alexandria. I just hope that they don't go stucco with this one...

Seems like Morehead Street is developing a nice little line of towers/midrises outside of the 277 loop. It would be great to see the development momentum continue and result in the creation of a high-density residential corridor from Summit to Carolinas Medical. Imagine the effect that such a corridor, plus the midtown square development, will have on Charlotte's overall skyline...

The problem with Morehead is the street network is horrible now because of I-277....there are a few good spots for a highrise in my opinion. The corner of Kenilworth and Morehead where the empty office building is now......the site of the REALTOR's building on Greenwood Cliff. The 615 Site is fine, though it increases the need to connect Euclid to Davidson....everything else should probably stay 6 stories or lower, because all the traffic will funnel onto Morehead mid-block.

Of course, if they want to build higher, create a TIF that would finance a streetcar down Morehead.

So which would be better if there had to be a choice. A street car down morehead to provide easy access to the S. LRT, or a bridge across I-77 connecting Davidson and Euclid? My guess is the new bridge would cost more than an electric streetcar.

(They could run the streetcar from the neighborhood at the intersection of Walnut and Freedom to Kings drive and maybe over to midtown.)

Oh cmon now MC, its not that bad, lol. Maybe with a better rendering it will look better.

Would you be happy if they just removed the pillers?

That might make it a little better, Mo. Even with that changed, I can't get excited about this one. I know it will end up being 34-stories of EFIS with a fake copper roof. I've looked all over for new high rise condo towers in the USA that have classical elements, but can only find a couple in Dallas and they're faux French chateaux (we already have those under construction in Cotswold). This could be marketing genius. Give the people what they want: temples, Parthenons, Pantheons and chateaux. Hope the building has good wheelchair ramps.

Seriously though, are the dark elements running down the center of the tower terraces? It doesn't look like it has any outdoor space per unit. I can't imagine buying in a high rise that doesn't have a balcolny.

Archived