615 East Morehead in Dilworth, Charlotte

Southend

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very disappointed that this didn't go through. I was excited to have a 30+ story tower outside of the loop. I thought it was the first step in stretching downtown out and my future vision of towers stretching over both sides of 277 and 77.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I had been hearing that 615 E. Morehead was going to come back in some form in the near future, and today that was confirmed by the print CBJ. The project however will flip flop its make up from how it use to be. Formerly it was a 34 story tower with 50k sq feet of office, and the rest condos and retail. Now it will be mostly office with some residential and retail. Good to see this could be coming back into existance. No word on the possible height of the building, but there will be street level retail, and great views for whoever will work/live there.

Hmmmm....I wonder how this would turn out as an office development. With UMUD zoning in place, there is no height, or FAR restrictions. I would be a bit nervous though of a tall office building at that location, as it will dramatically add to congestion to this section of Morehead which is already going to get worse if the Insite Prop. development occurs.

As a residential building, it wouldn't add that much traffic, but assuming this is at least 300,000 sq. ft. (based on what I expect the sales price to be), then that's a considerable amount of traffic added. I'd be pretty stoked if the would go ahead an building the Euclid/Davidson connector across to 277, but the city doesn't have the teeth or will-power to do something that is seen as anti-development.

Whatever occurs, I hope it turns out better than the other office building one block east on Morehead that also had UMUD zoning (I think), that ended up with a big surface lot in the front, and a very suburban parking deck in the back.

I'm getting very nervous about the wave of new development along Morehead, as Insite's building, and Steve Harris' building (where Long Horn was) all appear to ignore 3 of their 4 sides when it comes to designing responsible infill developments.

Archived