615 East Morehead in Dilworth, Charlotte

Southend

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I doubt that 615 Morehead will have quite the budget of the Mansions on Peachtree.

So, if not limestone, pre-cast concrete would be great as well: it's dignified, you can really get a lot of different looks with it, and it's been commonly used on building facades for a very long time.

I agree....I hope for a bare-minimum that it is precast.

I also agree that this won't be shooting for the same market as the Mansion on Peachtree, where units start at $3M, but I'm regurally appalled by how people with lots of "buying power" often have such low standards when it comes to quality. As long as something is big and flashy, most of these people don't seem to care.

I agree....I hope for a bare-minimum that it is precast.

I also agree that this won't be shooting for the same market as the Mansion on Peachtree, where units start at $3M, but I'm regurally appalled by how people with lots of "buying power" often have such low standards when it comes to quality. As long as something is big and flashy, most of these people don't seem to care.

It's called new money.

http://www.mansiononpeachtree.com/building.htm

This is what 615 aspires to be.....that's right, real limestone.

And designed by a world-famous architect, Robert A.M. Stern. He did a mini series in the '80s on PBS called "Pride of Place". It detailed American architecture since its inception. It is doubtful he would ever design anything here. He was the most hated man in Charlotte for a while. When he came to speak to the Charlotte AIA chapter in the 1980s, he made many enemies when he told the group at a luncheon that uptown had the "ulgliest collection of thrid rate skyscrapers" he had ever seen.

Even more reason that he should be attracted here....certainly in his mind he would produce the most attractive building Charlotte could ever hope to have.

On a tangent, Stern really bored me with his projects during the 1990's, but lately his latest works have all been striking, including my personal favorite residential building currently proposed or under construction.

15 Central Park West

^Yeah, Stern has done both mediocre and great buildings. One of the interesting things about his work is that it can't be pigeon holed into one genre. He has done single-family residential bungalow rehabs and additons (in the classic craftsman style) while at the same time designing what will be the tallest building in Philadelphia, Comcast Center, a glass and steel modernist tower.

atlrvr, you are exactly right. He is an egomaniac if one ever lived (he is an architect, afterall). I'm sure he'd love an opportunity to design a tower here.

And designed by a world-famous architect, Robert A.M. Stern. He did a mini series in the '80s on PBS called "Pride of Place". It detailed American architecture since its inception. It is doubtful he would ever design anything here. He was the most hated man in Charlotte for a while. When he came to speak to the Charlotte AIA chapter in the 1980s, he made many enemies when he told the group at a luncheon that uptown had the "ulgliest collection of thrid rate skyscrapers" he had ever seen.

... and while he may not know the meaning of modesty or simple politeness, his comments pertaining charlotte in the 80's were pretty much dead on. so, as for me, i can't be a hater. as for stern, i say there are many, many more architects... so going around offending cities is probably not advisable. especially a southern city.

The 15 Central Park West building is one of my favorite residential buildings. Great style, creativity and sensity to what the living spaces can be. They preserved light and views for a maximum number of the residences.

On that point, these morehead street sites offer great views of the skyline and their sunlight is not blocked all day by taller buildings(avenue) but I have not heard anyone noticing that both this site and Royal Court overlook a power substation that is pretty ugly from above(polaris aerial photos)... Is no one visualizing how it will be when built or is that a negligable detail?

Unfortunately I must agree with Stern re: his comment about the ugliest collection of skyscrapers in the 1980s. Let's face the facts, before the Interstate Tower was built, the architecture Uptown was boring at best.

Personally I like the original Wachovia Tower, the one that lights up the night skies even today.

But after the Interstate's popularity became apparent, future planners stepped up their efforts. Before Interstate, Uptown WAS simple, plain, nothing worthy of admiration.

I just hope these flat-roofed projects happening now aren't indicative of the future. Charlotte has enough boxes and flat roofed towers Uptown.

I would like to hear Stern's reflections of current Uptown, 20 years years after his sadly correct observation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it looks like this project is dead again in its current form.

All website content has been deleted from the official website, and all mention of it has been deleted from State Street's website.

Additionally, I know several journalists have been pressing them to give an update since the renderings were released and they aren't getting their calls returned.

I heard rumors maybe a week ago that the site might be sold soon. I would assume that at the market price, we would still get some sort of condo tower there.

Can't say that I'm sad. Hopefully whoever develops this site will be committed to a quality building.

I wonder if State Street released their best or most dense rendering on their website to help build up the selling price for the land. It is a shame they weren't able to get this work. I still remember a long long long time ago when this was first hinted at by insiders.

Hopefully, though, another developer will be able to take what is an awesome site and make it work for some reasonable height and density.

Well it looks like this project is dead again in its current form.

All website content has been deleted from the official website, and all mention of it has been deleted from State Street's website.

Additionally, I know several journalists have been pressing them to give an update since the renderings were released and they aren't getting their calls returned.

I heard rumors maybe a week ago that the site might be sold soon. I would assume that at the market price, we would still get some sort of condo tower there.

Can't say that I'm sad. Hopefully whoever develops this site will be committed to a quality building.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../13/story4.html

Well, their website still shows nothing, but apparently some journalists finally did get a story and the current word from CBJ is that the project is still on.

It is curious, though, as I'm not sure the article does have any new info. They even mention that the website it down and that they couldn't reach people at State Street about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived