UNC Charlotte uptown campus

atlrvr

Well, looks like Levine is doing something with his land........

He has committed to a land swap with UNCC for them to build their campus uptown. UNCC will be getting the entire block bound be 6th, 7th, Brevard, and Caldwell. The only current building on the block is the Breakfast Club and a defunct Mexican shop, the rest is surface parking.

UNCC will build a building that occupys the entire block and I would assume in the 2-4 story range. The building will become their uptown campus and house and enlarged MBA program, and likely their new Center for Real Estate (possibly including majors in Real Estate), and a Law School (if they decide to in fact create one).

They plan to open by 2009. So long one more surface parking lot! I hope the design is NOT like the rest of their campus (Georgian Revival crap) and is glassy and modern with underground parking.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot, The Historic Trevolar (sp?) House is also on that block. I don't forsee it being demolished and I doubt it would remain on the block, so I will make the assumption that it will be moved. Perhaps caty-corner across the 7th/Brevard intersection as shown on the original Cooper Cary plans, or just across 7th and become integrated into the mid-rise residential and retail development Levine plans there.

I forgot, The Historic Trevolar (sp?) House is also on that block.  I don't forsee it being demolished and I doubt it would remain on the block, so I will make the assumption that it will be moved.  Perhaps caty-corner across the 7th/Brevard intersection as shown on the original Cooper Cary plans, or just across 7th and become integrated into the mid-rise residential and retail development Levine plans there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The big question for all of the Courtside owners will be what will go into the lot across from them and will it block any views.

The big question for all of the Courtside owners will be what will go into the lot across from them and will it block any views.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to be clear, 6/7/Brevard/Caldwell IS the block across from Courtside. The Treloar is on that block, as well as the CHA offices. Breakfast Club and Paco's cutrate are not on a Levine block, but rather the city-owned semi-block between 5th and 6th across from the arena.

I'm sorry, I messed up......the block that holds the Treloar house is where UNCC will go.......6th, 7th, Brevard and Caldwell.  The Breakfast Club stays......for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds like great news and a nice addition to the uptown neighborhood. As for a future law school as part of UNCC's uptown offerings, I haven't heard much about that in regard to UNCC. I know Elon has moved ahead with plans for their law school to be in downtown Greensboro and Queens is still studying the idea (or may have committed to concept). Anybody know anything about UNCC's potential plans?

I'm sorry, I messed up......the block that holds the Treloar house is where UNCC will go.......6th, 7th, Brevard and Caldwell.  The Breakfast Club stays......for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I guess then the "Educational Quad" that the city had in mind in its long term plan for that area in First Ward may come to fruition after all, even though it was conceived long before the arena came into play.

So I guess then the "Educational Quad" that the city had in mind in its long term plan for that area in First Ward may come to fruition after all, even though it was conceived long before the arena came into play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The blocks between 6th and 7th are the educational blocks across town. You have, going southeast to north west: [Old 1st Ward park], First Ward Rec Center/Child Development Center, UNCC's block announced by atlvr, Imaginon Children's Learning Center, 7th Street Station cool-for-kids parking deck, Levine Museum, (the bars are education for slightly older kids), Spirit Square, Discovery Place, Fourth Ward Child Development Center, 4th Ward Park.

• 1 month later...

it looks like UNC Charlotte will be constructing a Fretwell like building uptown. Fretwell is one of the larger building on campus but is only 4 stories. i imagine the new building will be taller.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There had been rumors before that it was to go on the block between courtside and imaginon. the article isn't specific on location, and usually the press refers to that whole region of first ward/levine/hal marshal sites to be "North Tryon". I'd be interested to see if they actually bought on N. Tryon, or whether they will go near imaginon in keeping with the charlotte 2010 vision of an 'education quad' there.

fretwell.jpg

This is what Fretwell looks like. The article in the Observer, which states that the school is not yet disclosing the site (which we're anticipating to be the surface parking lot at the NW corner of 6th & Caldwell), does go on to say it will be similar in look and size to Fretwell.

This is what Fretwell looks like. The article in the Observer, which states that the school is not yet disclosing the site (which we're anticipating to be the surface parking lot at the NW corner of 6th & Caldwell), does go on to say it will be similar in look and size to Fretwell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice work UptownGrrl-friend :)

That's a pretty nice looking building. I wouldn't mind something college campus-y across from my residence.

fretwell.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some more clues to the location, according to the Charlotte Business Journal:

1. Located a few blocks north of The Square

2. Owned by Levine Properties

3. Levine Properties has been trying to develop the land for awhile, but cannot find anchors/tenets.

I guess they're going to have to move the Treolar house.  Is that permissible under the historic protection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After reading the posts about the Eight St houses, I wonder why no one goes off on Daniel Levine for allowing this once beautiful structure to crumble? It's REAL history. I think he's intentionally removed second floor windows so water damage can make the building too fragile to move. Then he can tear it down.

After reading the posts about the Eight St houses, I wonder why no one goes off on Daniel Levine for allowing this once beautiful structure to crumble?  It's REAL history.  I think he's intentionally removed second floor windows so water damage can make the building too fragile to move.  Then he can tear it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly, the treloar could still remain on that block if uncc designs around it. i know levine's plan has long been to move it katykorner to be an anchor for one corner of his park. I think he hasn't put too much into maintenance because he has always planned to renovate it eventually.

I don't know him personally or anything, but i get the sense that levine would prefer to keep the historic buildings on his land if at all possible.

Personally, although that building isn't bad, I still think something like that will be a little bland for Uptown. Also, a lot of people (prospective college students) in small town NC perceive Charlotte as "the big city" and UNCC can play that card to its advantage by drawing in smaller town students who want to experience a little "big city life" while in college. I still say I would love for UNCC to incorporate a fifteen or so floor student residential tower (perhaps something courtside height) on this project. This would give UNCC students an uptown urban living option that no other school in the state could match. It would also infuse a lot of life into the "arena entertainment district" the city is pushing so hard for. Eventually light rail will come in providing transit to the whole school directly from the uptown location as well providing students with quick and easy access to class.

Personally, although that building isn't bad, I still think something like that will be a little bland for Uptown.  Also, a lot of people (prospective college students) in small town NC perceive Charlotte as "the big city" and UNCC can play that card to its advantage by drawing in smaller town students who want to experience a little "big city life" while in college.  I still say I would love for UNCC to incorporate a fifteen or so floor student residential tower (perhaps something courtside height) on this project.  This would give UNCC students an uptown urban living option that no other school in the state could match.  It would also infuse a lot of life into the "arena entertainment district" the city is pushing so hard for.  Eventually light rail will come in providing transit to the whole school directly from the uptown location as well providing students with quick and easy access to class.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Notwithstanding the fact that a 15 story building would block my view from Courtside, you still need to have school facilities for the students you're proposing housing. Building the housing before the school isn't going to work very well. Also, I'm guess they're going to want to use the building for mostly evening students who don't need somewhere to live.

Notwithstanding the fact that a 15 story building would block my view from Courtside, you still need to have school facilities for the students you're proposing housing.  Building the housing before the school isn't going to work very well.  Also, I'm guess they're going to want to use the building for mostly evening students who don't need somewhere to live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know you are just being hoping to keep your view;), but i agree with you. this building is for grad students, who don't want to live in a dorm.

It would be nice, though, if UNCC could build a distribution of campus buildings and dorm/student apartments at various stops on the north east light rail line. That could do wonders for supporting light rail, getting students on rapid transit, and blending the university into the city.

(If i could have my real wish, uncc would be a large secondary campus into the grid north of uptown. but that just fits into my vision that that area become a 20+ sq miles of large-scale urban core surrounded by freeways, greenway, and with 2 rail corridors through the center. but that will take a lot of time and work, and i know uncc needs this urban outpost in the nearterm.)

I think building the student housing mid-rise along 7th is a great idea. It could be built in conjuction with the academic building, though probably right across 7th would be better. The business journal reported that they want to serve 7,500 students a day, which is a lot more than night classes in a 100,000 sq. ft. building. Also, it appears that they will be bringing much more than the MBA program to the facility.

i know you are just being hoping to keep your view;), but i agree with you.  this building is for grad students, who don't want to live in a dorm. 

It would be nice, though, if UNCC could build a distribution of campus buildings and dorm/student apartments at various stops on the north east light rail line.  That could do wonders for supporting light rail, getting students on rapid transit, and blending the university into the city. 

(If i could have my real wish, uncc would be a large secondary campus into the grid north of uptown.  but that just fits into my vision that that area become a 20+ sq miles of large-scale urban core surrounded by freeways, greenway, and with 2 rail corridors through the center. but that will take a lot of time and work, and i know uncc needs this urban outpost in the nearterm.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UNCC's future is on the huge amount of land it owns in the northeast part of the county. I should image the above DT facility is to compete against the other universities with satellite campuses in the downtown area but as for a general undergraduate campus appearing in downtown, it ain't ever gonna happen. There are too many in the state government, where UNCC gets its funding, that would not support such a move and cost to the state.

Ironically until they built the east section of I-277, CPCC was considered the downtown university.

Archived