UNC Charlotte uptown campus

atlrvr

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, maybe like a big hole in the building right across from my condo.

:P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

i think this project will be just a handful of floors, and your view will be fine. I also would suspect that if they did build a taller section, they'd build it by 7th street with the express intent to preserve courtside views.

monsoon, i agree with you that uncc will not make a major move like i suggested. But if it does find success with this project, i think they may build a few more individual projects downtown.

Firstly, the treloar could still remain on that block if uncc designs around it.  i know levine's plan has long been to move it katykorner to be an anchor for one corner of his park.  I think he hasn't put too much into maintenance because he has always planned to renovate it eventually. 

I don't know him personally or anything, but i get the sense that levine would prefer to keep the historic buildings on his land if at all possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could be so sure. He has spent at least $150,000 studying his vast holdings for the past decade and still we have nothing. The only thing he's done is demolish the warehouse that stood next to the Presbyterian Church. What did he do? He took out all the windows, allowed the building to deteriorate, then used the "it's not salvageable" line. It was bulldozed in a day to give us one more surface parking lot.

Now that the Treloar's foundation and basement are exposed (they tore off a 1940s and 1960s additions last year), I can only imagine how fragile the structure is. If I were serious about saving a building, I think I'd try and keep it weatherproof. I peeked in last week and there are holes between the first and second floors.

I wish I could be so sure.  He has spent at least $150,000 studying his vast holdings for the past decade and still we have nothing.  The only thing he's done is demolish the warehouse that stood next to the Presbyterian Church.  What did he do?  He took out all the windows, allowed the building to deteriorate, then used the "it's not salvageable" line.  It was bulldozed in a day to give us one more surface parking lot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that does make me nervous. i had not heard that story before.

It just seems like he has been so explicit about saving it, that it would damage his reputation if he plays that game. But anything is possible.

http://cmhpf.org/newssummer2001p3.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...ith/7649716.htm

Just to clear up my previous post, I wasn't suggesting the housing component for the Grad students that use the uptown facility but for all UNCC students. Most students live off campus and this would be another affordable option for those students who wish to live uptown instead of in a suburban sprawl apt. complex somewhere else. Many student housing apt. complexes are located away from the actual school. The student apt. complex I lived in when I was in Boone was a few miles from the university. Many students want to live uptown even if their school isn't located uptown and UNCC has a great opportunity to offer that to its students.

I think this building should be much larger than what is proposed, with a dining hall on the bottom floor, classrooms on the next few floors, and then dorms on top. If UNCC wants to create an urban campus they could. I think we should petition them and suggest our ideas. :)

Does anyone know what became of the NCSA proposal for Uptown. I remember NCSA was interested in opening up a dept. of the school here in Uptown Charlotte (I think it was graphic design or something along advertising lines). They were going to talk to Winston first since Winston is its home but they were definitly interested in Uptown. I was recently in Savannah and loved the vibe SCAD gave downtown and it reminded me of the proposal. Now SCAD is expanding into Atlanta. I would love to see NCSA venturing into Charlotte's center city. Something like that would be great for both Charlotte and the students attending.

They got in financial trouble. I think audits showed some corruption even. Anyway, they are focusing on expanding their existing campus and have dropped the performing arts school from their plans for now.

• 2 weeks later...

i really like the direction they are headed. I hope they do something like a dome or more interesting overall shape than a cubic box with windows, but i like it. it will make that part of first ward very european looking.

Do you have a website with more info on what they released? I'm interested to know which block of that 9th/Brevard they have bought. If it was, in fact, the enterprise block, i really hope they save that house at [10th] and Brevard. the rest of the buildings there will be no love lost.

I was somewhat cautiously optimist until I saw the roof......now I want to vomit with disgust. This isn't 1856, and UNC-Charlotte is not a traditional school.....so why the hell are we treating the entire campus as such......not onlt that....but why are we treating their uptown building as such.........nothing says "this is a progressive university" like cheaply immitating a common academic style that was all the rage 150 years ago.

Gravitas!!! UNCC and CPCC are both adding traditional brick architecture to their campuses as they are not very old schools, and need that type of architecture to look more like a college or university to prospective students. The modern architecture originally used on both schools ended up look very dated and unattractive. Traditional style of architecture like this looks better with age than more modern styles.

I agree they could have done many things better, but it isn't vomit-worthy, in my book.

Archived