UNC Charlotte uptown campus

atlrvr

Well, happened to pick up a copy of the University Times on campus and what do I find on the front page...information about UNC-Charlotte's new uptown building!! According to the article, the building will cost about 46 million dollars to build and should begin construction in late 2008 with a completion date in the spring of 2010 in time for the fall semester.

Other notes from the article:

-Building will be 11 stories tall.

-Trying to achieve LEED Silver certification.

-May use geothermal heating, gray water re-usage and windows that maximize the use of natural light.

-Will utilize close proximity to public transportation.

-They are proposing a new park that will sit between this building and the children's library.

-Inside will be a 300 seat auditorium and two 177 seat auditorium.

-Will offer an urban design studio along with graduate level business classes.

I think this building will turn out to be a real gem and hopefully spark some interest for the rest of Levine's First Ward Urban Village.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is exciting. I can't wait to see the real design (repeating that the sample building rendering was never intended to be real).

If Levine didn't control all the land around it, I'd say that UNCC's construction downtown would spur other developments nearby. It is hard to know, though, what Levine will do. At least it will help to bridge the asphalt valley that isolates the rest of First Ward.

I will have to pick up a copy of that issue, but this sounds great! 11-stories and maximum light windows, this is a real urban building instead of that sad excuse draw-up earlier. LEED Silver cert is awesome- and I have a feeling a lot of UNC Charlotte's projects will turn in this direction, with their increased recycling and enviornmental interests. Glad to see those stats for this project.

This helps extend the nice little "educational corridor" that has sprouted between Discovery Place, the library, Imaginon, and now the UNCC building. I think a small (Green-esque) park will do nicely in that spot with so many students and library facilities close by.

Also nice to see the urban design studio and LEED certification; this is another step in the right direction regarding Charlotte's future urbanity and sustainability.

Archived